Entry #2

2 November — I've never been someone who was naturally interested in history. Growing up, I would always be easily distracted and lose my attention when stumbling upon random facts or reading captions at history museums. If the topic or period was not related to me, my country, or my interests, then what was the point? My category of "relevant" was very limited, confined to what I thought "everyone has to know" and what little caught my attention. And unfortunately, I wouldn't be honest with myself if I didn't admit that this attitude has carried on into my present.

Sure, my understanding of what is "relevant" has expanded. Not only have I learned the value of other aspects of my identity but I have understood the relevance of understanding those of others. Moreover, understanding how we understand history is something I have recently adopted into how I learn about the past, as it is a constant talking point at my history seminars at Queen Mary. Nonetheless, I still need to affix a clear purpose to my study of a certain historical period, event or figure.

Because of this mindset, I often find myself struggling to relate things back to a purpose. Unfortunately, knowledge is often the means to an end, rather than an end in itself. There is also a clear expectation in my mind about finding something in history that other disciplines cannot, as though the discipline was a wise elder from whom I demanded answers to questions about the chaotic and the dumbfounding aspects of our present. But, the way in which we have been learning about London have sparked a kind of new attitude in me.

I realized this change in perception just fairly recently.  Just today, while waiting for the bus, I asked myself “Why did I find history to be boorish at times? It's literally the compilation do the stories of people and places!” What the historian does is something fascinating, a systematic mapping of the stories of humanity and the world.

I can characterize these past few weeks of history lessons as a process of patient discovery, attentive listening and careful observation.  Walking through the streets of London has turned somewhat into detective work for me, an exercise of careful observation and purposeful imagination. Sure, it's impressive to gaze at the grace and beauty of Westminster (which, I'm not gonna lie, is one of the most beautiful pieces of architecture I have seen) or to stand on the Prime Meridian at the Greenwich Observatory, but it is through the less obvious discoveries that I find myself appreciating history for the sake of the subject matter. To try to imagine what the little street, on which the Great London fire started, would look like back in 1666. Or to fathom the many phases that St Paul's went through to stand as it does today (it was torn down and built around several times).

Today, my walks and strolls in London are very different than from a month ago. My gaze sets upon more buildings, streets and alleyways. I find myself asking questions not to know the answers relevant to my present, but to understand the true nature of what surrounds me. To understand London for the sake of London, which was surprisingly led me to understand a lot more than what I thought I would.
 
—Emma Franco Ceceña