Remembering and Reflecting

30 November — As our time in London quickly concludes, my attitude has shifted from “How many amazing things can I experience in such a short amount of time?” to “Look at all the amazing experiences I’ve had in such a short amount of time.” Reflecting back upon my experiences in London thus far has been exciting, heartwarming, and genuinely fun. The various neighborhoods, restaurants, and landmarks I’ve visited have each been unique, pivotal aspects of the city. I’ve found that amazement and wonder can emerge from even the most unexpected corners of London, and stumbling upon some new discovery consistently brightened my days. Whether I’m traveling with friends, family who are visiting, or our group from Lewis & Clark, experiencing different areas of London has been an absolute treat. Certainly the most moving experience I’ve had here was attending the Remembrance Day Ceremony on November 11 with our whole group.

It is my firm belief that the many of the best memories in one’s life often begin with a wake-up at some ungodly hour in the early morning. As my alarm chimed at 5:30 am on November 11, my initial excitement was very much bogged down by my extreme tiredness. However, there is very little a hot cup of tea in the morning won’t solve, and upon meeting the group at 7:00 am, I was extremely excited for the day to come. As we boarded the Tube together, many of us sporting our remembrance poppies, we were joined by fellow citizens from the Mile End area, also donning their own poppies. The atmosphere was somber and quiet. November 11, much like Veteran’s Day in the United States, is a yearly holiday recognized in Britain and throughout Europe as Remembrance Day, marking the armistice that ended World War I. This year’s ceremony was especially unique in that it commemorated the 100th anniversary of the war’s end.

When we arrived near the National Gallery, the tone of the morning immediately shifted from quiet reflection to the usual London loudness. London lives at all hours, morning and night, no matter the day, and it was bustling at 8:00 am when we arrived. We wound our way through the crowded streets, eventually joining the queue to enter the security area. Security at the event mirrored that of an airport, sans the x-ray scan, and we each emptied our pockets and were firmly patted down before making our way past the metal barricades lining Whitehall, the avenue leading from the Houses of Parliament to Trafalgar Square. There were 10,000-20,000 citizens projected to attend the ceremony alongside an additional 10,000 service members and veterans, so our arrival three hours before the ceremony seemed only expected. That didn’t, however, make the time pass any quicker, and the wait for the ceremony to begin seemed eternal.

As the minutes turned to hours, and the empty miles of sidewalk slowly filled with citizens, I truly recognized the gravity of the situation. What a truly amazing, once-in-a-lifetime experience to commemorate the end of World War I in a city such as London. Moreover, we were witnessing the event approximately fifty feet from where some of Britain’s most famous citizens were standing. Throughout the ceremony, we watched Prince Charles, Prime Minister Theresa May, German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier, and various members of Parliament distribute remembrance wreaths upon the Cenotaph, one of London’s many monuments commemorating those lost in World War I. Though we couldn’t quite see her in person, Queen Elizabeth II was a mere hundred feet from where we were standing, potentially the closest any of us will ever be to royalty! Thousands of servicemen and servicewomen lined Whitehall each showing their medals and awards from their service. The ceremony itself was rather short, lasting less than thirty minutes, and yet it will stick with me for the rest of my life. As the ceremony closed, the crowd roared “God Save the Queen,” and it was perhaps the most chilling, surreal moment I’ve ever experienced. It is truly hard to explain the atmosphere of the ceremony, though I will forever remember the amazing experience I was able to share with my classmates.
—Zack Johnson