Fall is Here… or is it?

19 November — We’re over two months into our program, and the experiences have been amazing so far. I’ve explored Westminster Abbey, I’ve seen a political protest, I’ve experienced one of the most peaceful and moving displays of remembrance during Armistice Day. I’m enjoying my time here in London, and learning something new every day. I now know why people say there is no other city in the world like it.

But I can’t help but think there’s a little something missing. The air is getting colder, the leaves on (some) of the trees in the city are changing, and Christmas decorations are already adorning store windows. But, I still have to ask: where did autumn go?! I love the season, and it is one of the most beautiful times of year where I live. But I just don’t get the same feeling here as I do in Connecticut. The city has seemed to skip right from Halloween and straight to Christmas.

I’ve seen pieces of New England’s fall here in England, especially when I get out of Central London. For our neighborhood tour project, I went to Kew in order to take pictures and do more research. I visited the Royal Botanic Gardens and the National Archives, and I was truly amazed with the town. With a small population of only around 11,500, it is a type of town I’m more familiar with. The trees, the open spaces of grass, the slower pace, even the air reminded me of home, and, at the same time, nothing of London. As much as I have come to love the city, it was nice to see the skyscrapers as only a blip on the horizon.

The Royal Botanic Gardens were beautiful! They had plants from all over the world. My favorite part, though, was the Tree Walk. There is an elevated platform about eight meters in the air, and you can walk along the tops of the trees. It finally felt like fall to me when I could see all the colors, the warm hues a contrast to the cool, crisp air hitting my cheek among the treetops.

The end of my adventure in Kew was bittersweet. I was excited to get home and tell my friends about this amazing little town they should visit, but I also didn’t want to leave this remnant of home. I found myself just wandering down its streets, marveling at the scaffolders and the mechanic’s garage. I really could not help but feel connected to the space. But I knew it was time to go.

I eventually made my way back onto the tube and into Mile End. At first, I thought I was going to start resenting the city because of all that it lacked, and even some of the things it had too much of. But as I emerged from the station, I appreciated the city just as much as I did on my first day. I realized that just because things are different, that they are not like home, there is no reason to dislike them. Rather, it is more impressive when you are able to love what you have around you, even when it isn’t what you’re used to.
—Kaitlyn Moseley
View of London from Kew