Two Months in a City Full of Souls

21 November — It’s hard for me to realize that there is less than one month left for us to study and live in London. Time really flies! As the semester comes toward an end, my workload has increased a lot! I will need to complete several long essays for my courses and also get prepared for the coming winter break.
 
In the past two months I have tried to explore as many places as possible in London. However, London is really big and there are still many areas that I haven’t had the chance to see! Besides, London is a city full of souls. There are always many events happening in London and one can never get bored here. Two weeks ago I went to see the Lord Mayor’s Show which is the longest and oldest parade in the world. There were over 130 groups or organizations participated from different fields and countries. I was particularly glad to see Lord Mayor, Peter Estlin, and witness this great event with other Londoners. On 11 November it was the centenary of Armistice, so our group went to see the wreath laying ceremony at Cenotaph and to pay tribute to those who sacrificed their lives in World War I and other wars. We shall never forget the past and the cost of wars. Sadly history is repeating itself and there are still many wars and conflicts in different parts of the world.

For our history class, London Through the Ages, one of the assignments is a map exercise which requires us to choose a neighborhood in London and create a historical walking tour. The neighborhood I chose is Knightsbridge and this assignment allowed me to explore that area for the first time. There are high-class department stores, expensive apartments, luxurious hotels and a world-class museum; and these are what Knightsbridge is known for. It is cool to see the transformation of Knightsbridge because of development after development over the years. My favorite places in Knightsbridge are Harrods and Victoria & Albert Museum. I am not into buying expensive items at Harrods, but the interiors there are truly impressive and decorative, especially now their Christmas decorations. Whereas for V&A Museum, I can spend hours inside to appreciate their vast collections. Last semester I took a Buddhist Arts course at Lewis & Clark, so I was glad to recognize some Buddhist statues from the periods and regions that I learned from that class.

Currently as a senior which means I will be graduating in six months and honestly it has been quite challenging for me to plan my future while studying abroad in London. Since I am not sure where I will land after graduation, I try to concentrate on the present and enjoy my last month in London as much as possible. In an LC alumni gathering held in early November, I learned from an alumna that there are always possible ways to work/live in London if I ever want to come back after graduation. However, Brexit will definitely add more uncertainty and let's see what will happen.
 —Jocelyn Mah